Kenny says he prays for his grandson Ethan from 29th to Top Pot Donuts before he switches to the next family member. It is the perfect way he redeems his commute every day. It’s no secret that Seattle has some dicey traffic. And, with the repaving 99 project, many will be facing traffic snags for more than a year. Are you ready to repave your prayer life? Here are 8 ways you can pray in traffic.
- Family. Make a list of your family members that you can pray over as you drive. Like Kenny maybe you have landmark triggers to switch to the next family member. Or maybe you pray for one family member each day.
- Scripture. Pray through scripture. Perhaps you’d like to memorize some scripture. Write down your verse for the week on a notecard and tape it to your dash. Practice it as you drive. Let it imprint on your heart and in your mind. Might be a good idea to use some scripture verses on patience. For another idea, you can read our list of biblical reminders on who you are in Christ. We also have some verses on overcoming fear! Need some strong verses to grip your heart? We’ve got those too!
- Neighbors. Have you ever thought about praying for your neighbors? Even if you don’t know them all, take a moment to lift them up and ask God for opportunities to know them better.
- Yourself. What are you struggling with right now? What are some ways that you need God to speak to your heart? This is a great time to make a list of those things.
- Thanksgiving. Make a list of those things for which you are thankful and let God know about them. Grateful hearts change everything.
- The country, state, city or neighborhood. Pray for God to work mightily around you. Pray for issues on your heart. Pray for those in leadership at all levels. Pray for your role in helping this world come back to Him.
- The Church. Pray for your church. Pray for the leaders in the church. Pray for the church in general and that it would be a bright light for the love of Jesus.
- The World. Pray for the world. Pray for persecuted Christians around the world. Pray for missionaries from your church. Pray that God would show you an area that you can help in, whether by sponsoring a child, supporting a missionary or placing on your heart a specific area you can cover in prayer!
What are some other ways you can think of to pray while you are commuting? Let the songs you hear on the station help shape the prayers on your heart. Let the lyrics surround you with encouragement. Not only will this help transform your commute, but it’ll transform your heart as well. Try it and let us know how it goes!